[Peace-discuss] Chalmers Johnson on "Charlie Wilson's War"

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 21:06:01 CST 2008

Haven't seen the movie but not my impression that CW is portrayed as a hero. Here's what wikipedia sez http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Wilson's_War
   --Jenifer

"John W." <jbw292002 at gmail.com> wrote:
  At 03:21 PM 1/8/2008, Laurie at advancenet.net wrote:

>I suppose one cold describe it as "Animal House" for the masses; but I
>prefer to think of the film as a comedy that satirizes the characters that
>it portrays showing how hypocritical, unethical, opportunistic, and Ugly
>American Americans can be.
>
>However, one of the people I went to see this movie with drew some of the
>same conclusions as drawn below, got upset, and walked out of the movie.

Or one can simply boycott it in the first place. I read a short snippet
about the movie in Reader's Digest and immediately thought, "Hmmmm....Isn't
this essentially the same as Iran-Contra, when Ollie North went on trial,
and took the fall for the higher-ups, for illegally funding the Contras in
Nicaragua? Wasn't it a criminal act back then? And now this Charlie
Wilson is somehow heroic? How far we've come!" I'm frankly embarrassed
for Tom Hanks.

But then, I'm reading Naomi Klein's book, and realize anew just how
terribly, profoundly, shockingly, irrevocably far we've disintegrated as a
nation in the past 30 years.

John Wason