[Peace-discuss] "who's on the (two-sided!) ballot" question from tonight's AWARE meeting

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 14 01:55:28 CST 2008

There may be a unified all-county ballot posted somewhere on
    champaigncountyclerk.com
though I don't see it.  But, under "Election Services" and then
"View Your Ballot", you can enter your name, birthdate, last four SSN digits
and be shown your own polling place and primary ballots (Green, Dem, Rep, and
nonpartisan).  The contested Dem races are:

  President -- all the candidates except for Gravel, I think --
    Obama / Clinton / Edwards / Richardson / Kucinich / Dodd / Biden
    (in that order)

  There are 13 "Delegates to National Nominating Convention,
	15th Congressional District" (choose four),
	and 3 alternates (choose one).  Each of these has a pres. cand.
	under their name.   Some delegates are names we'd all know,
	like Gina Jackson, Tod Satterthwaite, Mike Frerichs.
	By pres. association, there are four Clintons, four Obamas,
	four Edwards and one Richardson.  Alternates have one each
	for Obama, Clinton, Edwards.

  State's Attorney is contested as we know, between
    Julia Rietz / Alfred D. Ivy III

  Durbin is unopposed for US Senate.
  Steve Cox is unopposed for US Rep.

  The referenda are on the BACK OF THE PAGE.  When you're at
  the polling places, make sure the election judges are pointing out
  to everyone that it's a two-sided ballot!  The Champaign referenda are:

    Proposition To Restore The Level Of General
    Assistance Funding Provided To The Township

	Shall the voters of the City of Champaign
	Township ask the Township Trustees to
	restore the level of general assistance
	funding by actively pursuing any and
	all means available to them in order to
	preserve the health and well-being of
	individuals, children, families and adults
	living in extreme poverty in our Township?

    Proposition To Call Upon Congress To Repeal
    Or Amend The Military Commission Act

	Shall the voters of City of Champaign
	Township call upon their elected
	representatives in Congress to do all
	in their power to repeal or amend the
	military Commission Act in order to restore
	the U.S. Constitutional right of habeas
	corpus and to uphold the internationally
	recognized rules of law, thereby preventing
	the cruel and inhuman treatment and the
	arbitrary and indefinite detention for
	all detainees held by the U.S.  Government?

    Proposition To Call Upon Congress To Limit
    Military Funding In Iraq

	Shall the voters of the City of
	Champaign Township call upon their elected
	representatives in Congress to pursue all
	available means to limit military funding
	in Iraq to only what is required to bring
	all U.S. troops home safely?

Green ballot:
    *four* presidential candidates!
	Cynthia McKinney / Kent Philip Mesplay / Jared A. Ball / Howie Hawkins

    Nobody filed at all for US Senator nor US Rep (against Johnson),
    nor for State's Attorney.

    Two Greens are running in my County Board district,
    Walter Pituc and Kostas Yfantis.

    Here the referenda are on the front of the shorter ballot.

Republican ballot:

    Everybody's on for president -- who on earth is James Mitchell?
      Romney / Paul / McCain / Thompson / Keyes / Mitchell / Tancredo / Giuliani / Huckabee

    Three for US Senator -- never heard of these people --
      Steve Sauerberg / Andy Martin / Mike Psak

    Tim Johnson is of course unopposed

    Zillions of nominating convention delegates and alternates, pretty
    equally apportioned for Romney / McCain / Paul / Thompson / Giuliani / Huckabee.

    Among other offices on the back of the ballot (so Mark Shelden can't
    entirely blame the referenda for requiring them to print two-sided ballots!)
    there is a Republican running for State's Attorney,
      Jamie Miller-Jones