[Peace-discuss] lawsuit

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 15 01:39:04 CST 2008

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 07:03:04AM +0000, mcclure at gct21.net wrote:

>   A correction. The lawsuit is not about revoking tax-exempt status for the
> clinics. (they don't have tax-exempt status). It's an antitrust suit that
> claims "the clinics agreed to boycott new Medicaid patients to increase the
> effective Medicaid reimbursement rates and to accelerate reimbursement pay-
> ments" by such measures as sharing phone scripts and having their boards of
> directors pass similar policies. The lawsuit is available at
> www.healthcareconsumers.org.

Don, thank you for the correction!

Can you tell me where on the healthcareconsumers web site this is mentioned?
After some digging I can't find anything, except the calendar note that
on Jan 17th the Illinois Attorney General's lawsuit against Carle and Christie
clinics will be heard, but doesn't explain the issue behind the suit.

Googling for that lawsuit turns up this, which is quite helpful:
   http://www.ag.state.il.us/pressroom/2007_06/20070614b.html
   June 14, 2007
     CHAMPAIGN, URBANA CLINICS SUED FOR CONSPIRING TO
	  LIMIT SERVICE TO MEDICAID PATIENTS

I guess I had confused that issue with the revocation of
Carle and Provena *Hospital*'s tax-exempt status, which has been
in the news -- e.g.
    http://www.carle.com/Hospital/about/NewReleases/2007%20Releases/The%20Carle%20Foundation%20files%20law%20suit.doc
for Carle's Nov 2007 suit seeking to reverse the Feb 2007
revocation of their tax exemption (count the negations in that!).
But apparently that wasn't CCHCC's doing?

Thanks Don and Bob and all for corrections -- with all this disinformation,
I'll post a correction to the peace list too.