[Peace-discuss] Pitfalls of identity politics

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 22 10:48:34 CST 2008

But surely it's been clear at least since Aristotle that the things you mention
are ethical obligations of the individual and the community.

(To be pedantic: at the end of the Nicomachean Ethics he says that the inquiry
into ethics necessarily leads into politics, and his Ethics and Politics
together deal with "philosophy of human affairs." But it's not just that the
Philosopher said it: it has -- in Henry Kissinger's words -- "the equal, added
advantage of being true.")  --CGE

PS-- And you might have a moral obligation to shout, "Fire!" in a crowded
theatre, e.g., when there is one...