[Peace-discuss] The Lobby Again

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Tue Jan 22 22:22:44 CST 2008

A couple of  comments follow.  --mkb

On Jan 18, 2008, at 10:17 AM, David Green wrote:

> Just in case myself and Carl haven't beaten this horse enough, I
> think it's important to understand that M/W (as referred to below)
> are wrong when they say that American politicians support policies
> that "are harmful to the Jewish state." They support policies that
> benefit elites in the Jewish state, and harm most Israelis. That
> reminds me of of our own country. Why should that be so hard for
> people on the left to understand (and shame on you, Perry Anderson
> in the New Left Review).

This [the distinction between the Jewish state and the élites of that
state] seems a mite too fastidious. Israelis unfortunately broadly
support the policies of their élites, except when they fail, as in
Lebanon. So far, they've been getting away with murder and mayhem.

> When support for Israel proves to not be in the interest of
> American elites, whether the neocons or the "permanent government,"
> then there will be a "change of course", that is, a change that
> admits no previous error and obliterates history. If in some wild
> scenario they decided that it would be geopolitcally correct for
> Israel and Palestine to be one secular democratic country, Jewish
> leaders in this country would support that idea within a week,
> because they cannot tolerate being out of step with establishment
> opinion. In another week, Israeli leadership would support it. A
> week after that, Jewish-American leaders would be saying that they
> had always supported a one-state solution. The following week,
> rabbis all around the country would be comparing Yassir Arafat to
> Martin Luther King.

I don't believe this hypothetical. It's too facile to imply that
Israel is an unwitting slave to U.S. interests. There is mutual
understanding…