[Peace-discuss] Trahison des clercs

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 25 15:35:46 CST 2008

[Something almost sensible from a Democrat not always sensible, and two good
comments.  --CGE]

	Published on Friday, January 25, 2008
	by the San Francisco Chronicle
	Are the Democrats Proposing Peace,
	or Counter-Insurgency Without End?
	by Tom Hayden

Pushed by powerful voter sentiment, the leading Democratic presidential
candidates all talk of ending the Iraq war, and the November election seems
headed toward a showdown with a Republican committed to a long-term war and
occupation.

But it’s not necessarily true.

The press, the politicians and much of the public have embraced a paradigm that
equates ending the Iraq war with the phased withdrawal of American troops from
combat roles, a position favored by the top Democratic candidates. Sen. Hillary
Clinton, according to her campaign statements, would withdraw most or all of
them in five years though she “hopes” to withdraw them sooner, and Sen. Barack
Obama would do the same in 18 months. Former Sen. John Edwards has recently
espoused a more rapid and complete withdrawal timetable.

Overlooked is the fact that if and when those combat troops withdraw, U.S.
counter-terrorism units will remain indefinitely to fight the Iraq-based al
Qaeda along with other undefined “terrorists.” There also are American advisers
who will continue training roles for the Iraqi army and police, and will be
embedded in the Iraqi Interior Ministry, a Shiite stronghold widely criticized
for torture, detention without charges, and other human-rights violations. There
will be armed forces to protect the diplomats in the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad,
the largest embassy in the world. Finally, these units will require “force
protection” by additional American troops.

To sum up, if all American combat troops ever are withdrawn, there still will
remain 50,000 to 100,000 Americans involved in a low-visibility, dirty war in
Iraq, just like those that involved death squads in Central America in the ’70s,
or the earlier Phoenix program in South Vietnam, in which the Viet Cong
infrastructure was decimated by assassinations and torture. Top American
advisers in Baghdad today operated the El Salvador counter-insurgency and have
praised the Phoenix program.

This, in fact, already is happening. The Baghdad regime is described by a source
in the Baker-Hamilton report as a Shiite dictatorship. The recent lessening of
violence in Baghdad largely is due to the ethnic cleansing of its Sunni
population. At least 50,000 detainees are imprisoned today without charges or
trial dates. The United States is paying Sunnis to fight Sunnis, funding the
Shiite-dominated security forces, and has increased its bombardment from the air
by fivefold since last year.

Morality aside, there is no certainty that transferring combat duties to the
Iraqi army, with embedded U.S. advisers and trainers, will succeed in
stabilizing Iraq any time soon. Nor will inevitable revelations of human rights
abuses in Baghdad’s secret prisons salvage America’s ruined reputation in the world.

The silence of the candidates and the media toward this U.S.-created,
U.S.-funded, U.S.-armed Frankenstein in Baghdad perhaps reflects a bipartisan
establishment fear of “losing” Iraq. Such fears resonate strongly in American
politics in favor of Republicans, from the acrimony over “losing China” in the
’50s to the continuing polemics over who “lost Vietnam.” It may also be rooted
in an unspoken consensus on securing a an American advantage in the sharing of
the Persian Gulf oil supplies.

If the Democrats continue to downplay this issue, they may provide a pretext for
a Ralph Nader candidacy in an extremely close November race. Moreover, they may
disillusion countless Americans if, despite promises, the war goes on for five
years or more.

An alternative has been pointed out by, of all people, former CIA Director John
Deutch, who says the United States must decide to end the occupation and open a
diplomatic offensive with Iran, “the only country that could make our withdrawal
difficult.” The Baker-Hamilton report concluded that Iran will not support a
solution in Iraq as long as Tehran believes the U.S. goal is to overthrow the
Iranian regime.

Meanwhile, the moment before California’s Feb. 5 primary will be one of the last
windows for the media and the public to clarify if and when the Democrats really
plan to withdraw all troops from Iraq.

[Tom Hayden is the author of “Ending the War in Iraq” (Akashic Books, 2007). His
writings on Iraq can be found at www.tomhayden.com]

4 Comments so far

    3. from  welshTerrier2 January 25th, 2008 4:16 pm

       Tom Hayden is a board member of Progressive Democrats of America. Part of
their mission statement reads:

       “We will reach our goal by working inside the Democratic Party to return
it to its roots as the party that represents the workers and the less fortunate,
and by building coalitions outside the Democratic Party on shared issues.”

       What I would like to know is what the organization plans to do when the
Democrats nominate a supporter of the corporate-imperialist agenda. Does
“working inside” mean that, in the end, they will support the Democratic
presidential nominee? Fighting for change, both inside and out, is great; caving
in at the finish line is NOT great at all. One might even call it treasonous.

       Several of the PDA board members have already given their endorsements
for mainstream Democratic presidential candidates. The ones I’m familiar with
are Lynn Woolsey (Clinton), Jim McGovern (Clinton) and Barbara Lee (Obama). Are
there others?

       I’m all for supporting progressive candidates be they Democrats or
anything else. When I see PDA’s board members endorsing the corporate state, I
have to question the organization’s vision. I wonder who will get Mr. Hayden’s
support next November.

    4. from Deran January 25th, 2008 4:18 pm

       Well, if the GP nominee really is former-Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney,
there will be a Left anti-war candidate. And of course if Dr. Paul goes on to
Nov as an indie or whatever, there will be an anti-war candidate from the Right.
I just wonder if the kids will be able to get over their fear of confrontation
(that stupid group - everybody is a winner - think their parents and schools
inculcated them with), and be able to figure out that voting for Hillary is not
in their interests?

© Copyrighted 1997-2008
www.commondreams.org