[Peace-discuss] Obama supports Israel's collective punishment of Gaza

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 25 17:39:23 CST 2008

[As if there weren't already more than enough reasons already to reject the
odious Obama, consider the letter he sent to Zalmay Khalilzad, the U.S.
ambassador to the UN, on the Security Council's meeting regarding the situation
in Gaza.  As he asked, he US blocked the council from issuing a statement.--CGE]

     Dear Ambassador Khalilzad,

     I understand that today the U.N. Security Council met regarding the
situation in Gaza, and that a resolution or statement could be forthcoming from
the Council in short order.

     I urge you to ensure that the Security Council issue no statement and pass
no resolution on this matter that does not fully condemn the rocket assault
Hamas has been conducting on civilians in Southern Israel for over two years.

     All of us are concerned about the impact of closed border crossings on
Palestinian families. However, we have to understand why Israel is forced to do
this. Gaza is governed by Hamas, which is a terrorist organization sworn to
Israel’s destruction, and Israeli civilians are being bombarded by rockets on an
almost daily basis. That is unacceptable and Israel has a right to respond while
seeking to minimize any impact on civilians.

     The Security Council should clearly and unequivocally condemn the rocket
attacks against Israel, and should make clear that Israel has the right to
defend itself against such actions. If it cannot bring itself to make these
common sense points, I urge you to ensure that it does not speak at all.

     Sincerely,

     Barack Obama
     United States Senator