[Peace-discuss] Not voting

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 28 23:12:03 CST 2008

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 11:26:34PM +0000, n.dahlheim at mchsi.com wrote:
> Once again, I really urge people not to vote.  The quality of political discourse and the fakery posing as a
> genuine political campaign offends my sensibility and my intelligence.  I definitely do not plan on voting in
> such a ridiculous American Idol campaign that displays none of the pretense of even appearing like a
> genuine political contest.  We can say that we want the lesser of the evils presented us, but we will get
> nowhere with that as the elite can control whomever wins anyway like a marionette.  Have a loud no vote
> and speak against the process, not out of apathy but out of frustration and enlightened disgust!
>      Nick

I really think that's foolish.

If you're trying to make a public statement of disgust with the system,
vote for someone who won't win but should (like Kucinich).
Or vote in other races but not the national ones.
Or write in Pogo for President.

For heaven's sake, if you live in Champaign or Urbana, *do* vote
on the referenda.  Urge Champaign to fund its township General Assistance
to at least the miserly level set by state guidelines.  Say you want the
Military Commissions Act repealed and Habeas Corpus restored.
Say you want us out of Iraq and Iran.  Will saying those things make them happen?
No.  But not saying them, being silent, gives consent.

Just staying away is indistinguishable from apathy.
Apathy is what shows the System that it's winning.  Fight it.

Now -- if you are also speaking against the point of view that says,
"by going to the polls and voting, I have properly exercised my
democratic voice, and owe no further obligation to our society
until the next election" -- if you are saying that too, I'd heartily
agree with you.  Voting is not remotely sufficient.  But it is important.

   Stuart