[Peace-discuss] Not voting

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 03:07:36 CST 2008

At 11:58 PM 1/28/2008, Laurie at advancenet.net wrote:

>Well Stuart, I disagree with you and agree with Ricky;

Just for the record, Laurie, it was Nick and not Ricky who urged us not to
vote.  Nick even changed the subject line of Ricky's post.

>I guess that just
>goes to prove that there a number of different perspectives and a number of
>different justifications to select from to justify our actions and
>inactions.  Optimism, like pessimism, is an article of faith.  If you are
>not optimistic, it makes little sense to engage in exercises in futility - be
>it referendum mattering or elections of federal, state, or local officials.
>One could as easily argue that futile actions by powerless citizens also
>give legitimacy to a system and its established rituals and procedures which
>justifies the actions of the powers that be and allows them to continue as
>much as not voting or participating in the process.
>
>Yes ridicule (such as writing-in Pogo or Mickey Mouse) does or can work to
>some extent in undermining the legitimacy of the establishment; but it also
>undermines the seriousness with which others (like the majority of the
>population) would take your gesture of ridicule.  But not obeying the
>official established and sanctioned rituals like voting and being a vocal
>refusenik while a symbolic act and not an effective one is very different
>from apathy.  Apathy is when you refuse to go along but do it quietly and
>for practical personal reasons and not public political ones.

So you'll be at various polling places, then, on primary day, publicly
carrying a sign and urging people NOT to vote as a matter of principle?

>Even apathy is or can be a rational reasonable response to an irrational or
>impossible situation; in fact, it might be more rational and reasonable than
>robotic participation in voting while knowing that it will make no real
>difference.  But then we get back to if one presumes an optimistic or a
>pessimistic working premise.

Or one could posit a mixed premise, where a citizen/voter is optimistic
about, say, a local election or referendum but pessimistic about the
national election.

John Wason