Re: [Peace-discuss] Re: [Announce] [Peace] State’s Attorney Rietz Participates In Cover-up Of Police Brutality

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 00:45:32 CST 2008

On the circuit clerk site the offense date is listed as 3/10/07 and the date
the charges were filed was 5/08/07.  Even making the allowance that filing
charges on the defendants birthday may be coincidental it is very telling
that the States Attorneys office waited over a month before pressing
charges.

This young man is facing the charge of resisting a peace officer. This begs
the question as to if the police officer had a lawful reason for stopping
the young man in the first place. The only public reason given for this was
that the defendant was leaving the park "after dusk".  Unlike other public
parks in the Champaign area Douglass park was the only one that had that
rule.  A group of individuals on a toxic tour was asked to define what
"dusk" is. Only one or two were able to give sunset as an answer. Since this
incident the park district has changed the time of the park closing to
reflect a more consistent hour.

Still considering that the young man was leaving Douglass Center (which was
open) with two companions it would seem that there was no real basis for
stopping him. Additionally a charge like "resisting a peace officer" is
generally given when a defendant knowingly and deliberately interferes with
officers from performing their lawful duty. The lawyers who post to this
listserve are welcome to provide any corrections or clarifications on this

So you have a kid who was resisting arrest - well what was he being arrested
for? Being in the park "after dusk"...in that case if this warrants an
arrest then how come his companions weren't taken into custody?  Here we
have a 17 yr old who has no prior criminal record in Champaign County being
pepper sprayed, beaten, and sent to the hospital and the States Attorneys
office failed to investigate this. That is truly a travesty of justice.

When Rietz ran for office she promised the African American community that
she would make changes so that the system would become more fair and just.
Since then her office has continued to treat officers who break the law with
leniency. Caucasian University of Illinois students who break the law are
often treated with kid gloves because the States Attorneys office doesn't
wish to ruin their future. Yet, how is it acceptable for her office to throw
the book at a young man for resisting a peace officer? But I guess since he
is young and black and not a U of I student it's perfectly kosher for Ms.
Julia to make an example of him.

Am I engaging in speculation...certainly. The facts lend themselves well to
that. Of course the people who really support her have written letters to
the News-Gazette talking about how she visits the school kids. In addition
by behaving like a good mistress in the plantation  she is being credited
for bringing 'integrity' to her position. Is that an example of engaging in
hyperbole? Of course...and it provides a metaphor for the people who believe
that the system favors the elite and screws the marginalized.

The bottom line here is Ms. Rietz did not keep the promises that she made in
the last election and that is why she is facing competition.

--Marti