[Peace-discuss] The Kennedys' fake liberalism, then and now

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 19:08:15 CST 2008

I, too, tho't John's question was reasonable, and I appreciated yr response, Mort, both the information and the tone. Thanks.
 --Jenifer
"Morton K. Brussel" <brussel at uiuc.edu> wrote: John, maybe I overdid it.

Mine was a specific and quick reaction to Obama's remarks regarding
Israel's response to the Palestinians in GAZA and elsewhere and, more
generally, my disgust at Obama's triangulations relative to our wars,
military budgets, domestic matters such as health insurance, who gets
on the Supreme Court, etc. , etc..

I think we do have in this country a profound governmental and
informational structural problem, illustrated by a lack of choice in
candidates for national  offices, inability to project diverse voices
in the mass media to our masses, and illustrative of a failure of our
(and perhaps others') democracy. It is an interesting question as to
whom "we" can look to politically  to carry the progressive message
of non-imperialism, peace and justice, forward.

How does one get over the all pervasive American exceptionalism, the
idea as Chomsky says that "We own the World", not to speak of Illini-
ism? The problem of the "other".

I have appreciated your remarks.

Mort