[Peace-discuss] DN!: Hersh: Congress Agreed to Bush Request...

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 12:37:35 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 11:53 AM, LAURIE <LAURIE at advancenet.net> wrote:

Except when it doesn't.  If it were as obviously literal and timeless in its
> meanings and references as this suggests, we would not need courts or
> lawyers to interpret the constitution or the laws implemented under it as
> it
> gets applied to individual concrete cases in "real" time.   The right to
> bear arms would apply to all types of arms from old ball and powder pistols
> to laser and rockets; I also do not recall any clauses in the Constitution
> that explicitly says that the principle of judicial review exists (if I am
> not mistaken that was the result of a Supreme Court ruling and not a
> constitutional provision).

Yes.  Marbury v. Madison.  :-)

> Moreover, the Constitution does not literally or
> explicitly prohibit yelling "fire" in a crowded theater or transporting
> sick
> chickens across State lines.  In fact in the former instance, the
> Constitution can arguable be said to literally and allow one to yell "fire"
> or anything else that one wants at any time in any place under the literal
> and explicit wording of the "freedom of speech" amendment provisions.

Correct as usual, Laurie.  I think Carl may have been being (awkward
phrase!) just a bit facetious.  Scalia is a "strict constructionist"
according to HIS interpretation of the "intent of the Founders".  What a
dumbass!  (Lest there by any confusion, I'm referring to Scalia.)

John