[Peace-discuss] Town meeting letter.

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Wed Jul 2 00:38:57 CDT 2008

The Uighurs (Weiwer in Chinese) are one of 57 minority peoples living in
China and they wear a particular shade of  light tan button-down cap
commonly, and quite by accident I happened to acquire such a color of
that kind of hat at WalMart on my single trip back to the states about
10 months into my 5 year stay in China.  When I wore this hat in China,
I fit in marginally better.  I didnt hear anyone on the bus or street
pointing me out to others calling me "laowai" (foreigner) anymore
(everybody look, there's a lao wai).  Most of the Chinese thought that I
really was a Weiwer or Xinjiangren ( from Xinjiang province, home of the
Uighurs). [Although some of my Chinese friends said I might be better
off as a "laowai" or "yangguizi" (foreign devil) than as a
Xinjiangren].  I had the correct length of nose and body type for the
quasi-Western/quasi-Arabic Xinjiang people, and my Mandarin was none too
good (same as them) so that even some of the Xinjiang Muslims in Beijing
near Nongda thought I was really one of them.  Some thought I was one of
them but just didnt want to say so because they thought maybe I was
running from the law.   It was great fun anyway and they enjoyed it
too.  Their Mandarin was bad enough for us to communicate pretty well
(we were patient) and we enjoyed eating and drinking together.

C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> [Notice that Lewis Carroll is turning up with a greater frequency in
> what passes for politics in this country.  The following is from an
> NYT blog.  --CGE]
Nothing seems to fit the surreality of some of it better than an
orthodox Carrollian paradox..