[Peace-discuss] Gareth Porter interview

Morton K. Brussel brussel at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 3 11:26:36 CDT 2008

I hope you're not championing the Taliban, a religiously ignorant and
fanatic force, who have profited from the chaos and destruction that
the U.S has caused/abetted in Afghanistan. That they are fighting the
U.S./NATO occupation is only because they wish to reestablish
themselves in Afghanistan (and Pakistan).  They would happily
collaborate with the U.S. if they believed they could advance their
fundamentalist cause. They are not good news for those against U.S.
imperialistic policies throughout the world. --mkb

On Jul 3, 2008, at 10:28 AM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

> It seems to me that that's exactly what they were when, in the
> mid-1990s, they brought a harsh order to Afghanistan.  "The Taliban
> initially had enormous goodwill from Afghans weary of the
> corruption, brutality and incessant fighting of Mujahideen
> warlords" -- who had been constituted fifteen years before by
> President Carter's CIA, in its most expensive program to date, in
> order to "give the USSR its own Vietnam," as Carter National
> Security Advisor Brzezinski said.
>
> After the US invasion in 2001 and their overthrow, the Taliban
> reconstituted themselves as the leaders of the national resistance
> against the foreign invaders, the warlords, and other comprador
> elements, like the Karzai government.  On that basis they seemed to
> have expanded their appeal even beyond their Pashtun base (the
> Pashtuns being probably more than 40% of the population) to become
> an Afghan liberation movement.
>
> In destroying secular nationalist movements in the Middle East and
> financing religious ones (like Hamas) -- Carter's CIA recruited
> blood-thirsty religious fanatics to oppose "godless Communism" --
> the US followed a wide-ranging but single-minded policy that in the
> 1950s saw Catholics recruited in Vietnam to oppose the Viet Minh
> and on the campus of Notre Dame University to join the CIA (cf.
> Agee, Inside the Company).  But with the Taliban they reaped the
> whirlwind.
>
> The British journalist Jason Burke, who wrote what is probably the
> best book on Al-Qaeda, has just published "On the Road to Kandahar:
> Travels Through Conflict in the Islamic World," on "Islamic
> militancy, its root causes its evolution and likely future."  It
> may be the best account currently available in English.  --CGE
>
> Sarah Tedrow-Azizi wrote:
>> I would hardly put the Taliban in the same catagory as those "engaged
>> in wars of local defense and national liberation."
>> On 7/2/08, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at uiuc.edu> wrote:
>>> Thanks for the reference, Stuart.
>>>
>>> Of course the U.S. needs a fantasy Third Reich in the Middle East
>>> as an
>>> excuse for its military descent on the region (and also to
>>> justify its cost
>>> to the US public), because it can't admit the real nature of the
>>> enemy whom
>>> it's ranged against: people in the Middle East who want the US to
>>> get out of
>>> their country and stop taking their resources.
>>>
>>> We call them terrorists, insurgents, militants, Al-Qaeda, Taliban
>>> and the
>>> like, but they're engaged in wars of local defense and national
>>> liberation
>>> (cf. anti-imperial struggles from the 18th century up to anti-