[Peace-discuss] Recently reread Daniel Quinn---thinking about the biofuels crisis

n.dahlheim at mchsi.com n.dahlheim at mchsi.com
Sun Jul 6 14:36:06 CDT 2008

I recently reread Daniel Quinn's Ishmael as I think about food, population,
water, resources, and climate problems----and then I hear all this nonsense
about "sustainable growth."  No kind of consistent growth is sustainable: the
two words are inherently contradictory and together they are oxymoronic.  If
the world's population and resource consumption were growing at only 2%:
population and resource usage would double in about 35 years!!!!!  And the
business pages celebrate booming growth in India and Chinag----So, we want
China's economy to double in less than a decade?  Kiss the world's forests,
oil supplies, mineral resources, climatic stability et. al goodbye forever...
We started this in America, and it will be nice that the dragon can finish off
what the bald eagle started...

We are definitely the culture of Takers, and the cultures of the Leavers will
unfortunately suffer the same fate as we will (I really do feel for the
indigenous people as they are the only ones for whom I feel existential mercy
in regards to the ecological hell we are creating for all life on this Earth)--
---elimination from this world we've deigned to rule and for what?  Bank
accounts with made-up money?  Nice houses, rich cars, and access to sexcapades
around the world?  The pleasing of a bloodthirsty Judeo-Christian-Islam God
(the Middle East is full of extremist Jews, Christians, and Muslims ready to
blow up the planet for their God(s))?

I can't feel sorry for a culture whose only transcendant values is thanking
god for all of the money they're going to make off of the next Wall Street
funny money or telemarketed multi-level marketing scheme...  It will be good
riddens to these fat, greedy creatures known as Americans who have condemned
people like the family members of my Sudanese friend to a lifetime of famine
and starvation thanks to structural adjustment programs, CIA coups, arms
profiteering, and a ruined climate from the continuous belching of greenhouse
gases from coal and oil...

I don't know---but I've a hard time being anything other than a bit
misanthropic.  If I were an alien who actually came from a planet where the
morality humans talk about was practiced as the actual culture; I would fly
down in my spacecraft and be appalled at the barbarity of what the Homo
Sapiens species has done to this once beautiful planet....  I'm getting
comfortable with the idea that if Nature were to eliminate us (me included), I
would accept that Fate for we richly deserve it.  In the meantime, I'm going
to find a place to sit and watch this freak show circus of a civilization
consume itself from the inside....

I can't wait for all of the Red Staters to bake and starve because of rising
food and fuel prices----family values will be great when they can all sit in
their trailer parks and starve together for giving us this marionette chimp
for a President....   Families that starve together, die together....

And for the one half of the voting public that didn't vote for that monster---
what did we do to hold this government accountable for its multiple crimes
against humanity (including its protection of the fossil fuel which is cooking
the whole godforsaken planet)?  What did we do to expose the fraud that was
9/11?  The lies about Iraq?  The failure to find peace in Israel and on and
on....  Oh, that can't happen here as we'll just vote in Democrats who twitter
pate about democratic values that they don't really believe in when it comes
time to cash in on war profits from the Middle East blood bath....

Enjoy the hyperinflationary depression of the 21st century---who will we nuke
next?  After all, it's our oil under their sand....

Nick