[Peace-discuss] What élites are thinking…

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Tue Jul 8 12:07:42 CDT 2008

The bit of solipsism that declares the Constitution ambiguous is
unfortunately not a new trick, the first recorded mention of which I am
aware is the
dialectic of the serpent in Genesis 3.  Ambiguity is the easiest thing
to prove by an Abbott and Costello sort of logic.  Costello says:
I am smart and rational and honest.  This thing confuses me.  Therefore
this thing IS ambiguous (otherwise a smart and rational and honest
person like me would not be confused.)

I surely am confused as to why we the people should tolerate this
/unbroken thread of American Imperialism/ that is impervious to regime
change.
I only know one thing for sure.  You put the tar on first, then the
feathers.  It doesnt work well to throw feathers then apply the tar.

It is clear enough to me that the power of kings was well recognized by
the founders, and the power to declare war
was vested in the Congress so as to not give the Executive the powers of
a king.

It is soon 10 years ago that Ron Paul spoke with significant
praescientia on the subject.

*
CONGRESSIONAL RECORD: March. 9, 1999
WAR POWER AUTHORITY SHOULD BE RETURNED TO CONGRESS
HON. RON PAUL OF TEXAS

[Page: H1022]

    The SPEAKER pro tempore. Under the Speaker's announced policy of
January 19, 1999, the gentleman from Texas (Mr. Paul) is recognized
during morning hour debates for 5 minutes.

    Mr. PAUL. Mr. Speaker, the President has stated that should a peace
treaty be signed between Serbia and Kosovo he plans to send in at least
4,000 American soldiers as part of a NATO peacekeeping force.
    We, the Congress, have been informed through a public statement by
the President that troops will be sent. We have not been asked to act in
a constitutional fashion to grant the President permission to act. He is
not coming to us to fully explain his intentions. The President is
making a public statement as to his intentions and we are expected to
acquiesce, to go along with the funding, and not even debate the issue,
just as we are doing in *Iraq*.
    That is not a proper constitutional procedure and it should be
condemned. Silence in the past, while accommodating our Presidents in
all forms of foreign adventurism from Korea and Vietnam to Iraq and
Bosnia, should not be the standard the Congress follows.
    The Constitution is clear: Our Presidents, from Washington to
Roosevelt, all knew that initiating war was clearly the prerogative of
the Congress, but our memories are flawed and our reading of the law is
careless. The President should not be telling us what he plans to do, he
should be giving us information and asking our advice. We are
responsible for the safety of our troops, how taxpayers' dollars are
spent, the security of our Nation, and especially the process whereby
our Nation commits itself to war.
    Citing NATO agreements or U.N. resolutions as authority for moving
troops into war zones should alert us all to the degree to which the
rule of law has been undermined. /The President has no war power, only
the Congress has that./ /*When one person can initiate war, by its
definition, a republic no longer exists.*/
    The war power, taken from the Congress 50 years ago, must be
restored. If not, the conclusion must be that the Constitution of the
United States can and has been amended by presidential fiat or treaty,
both excluding the House of Representatives from performing its duty to
the American people in preventing casual and illegal wars.
    Some claim that the Kosovo involvement must be clarified as to where
the money will come to finance it, the surplus or Social Security. This
misses the point. We have and should exert the power of the purse, but a
political argument over surpluses versus Social Security is hardly the
issue.
    Others have said that support should be withheld until an exit
strategy is clearly laid out. But the debate should not be over the exit
strategy. It is the entry process that counts.
    The war powers process was set early on by our Presidents in dealing
with the North African pirates in the early 19th century. Jefferson and
Madison, on no less than 10 occasions, got Congress to pass legislation
endorsing each military step taken. It has clearly been since World War
II that our Presidents have assumed power not granted to them by the
Constitution, and Congress has been negligent in doing little to stop
this usurpation.
    In the case of Kosovo, no troops should be sent without the consent
of Congress. Vague discussion about whether or not the money will come
out of Social Security or the budget surplus or call for an exit
strategy will not suffice. If the war power is taken from the President
and returned to the Congress, we would then automatically know the funds
would have to be appropriated and the exit strategy would be easy: when
we win the war.
    Vague police actions authorized by the United Nations or NATO, and
implemented by the President without congressional approval, invites
disasters with perpetual foreign military entanglements. The concept of
national sovereignty and the rule of law must be respected or there is
no purpose for the Constitution.