[Peace-discuss] Inclusive Presidential Debates

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 8 22:39:27 CDT 2008

Why?  Because they're particularly stupid? Or because they're the object of the
most expensive propaganda campaign in history?

There's little doubt that the sophistication of the political discussion in any
coffee shop in Baghdad is conducted at a much more sophisticated level than
similar conversations in US coffee shops, bars, or faculty lounges.

Again, why?  Because Americans are dumber? Or because it's literally a matter of
life and death elsewhere, altho' it's not for infantilized Americans?

In fact, however, in spire of all these ministrations, the US populace holds
political opinions substantially to the left of the official political parties.
  If you doubt that, look at the answers that Americans give to pollsters on
issues -- e.g., healthcare, Iraq, the influence of big business, the
responsibility of the government to provide jobs, etc.

That's why national candidates have to run on personality, not issues -- because
American don't agree with either the Republicans or the Democrats on issues.
(Example: a majority of those who voted for George Bush in 2004 thought that he
supported the Kyoto agreement -- because the Kyoto agreement was reasonable, and
Bush was apparently a reasonable man...)  --CGE