[Prairiegreens-org] Re: [Peace-discuss] Inclusive Presidential Debates

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 01:38:37 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 10:58 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at uiuc.edu> wrote:

The Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) conducts in-depth polls
> of this sort on the public opinion of international politics. They contrast
> quite sharply with the push-polls of which john has apparently been the
> unwitting victim.  PIPA is jointly run by the Center on Policy Attitudes and
> the Center for International and Security Studies at Maryland at the School
> of Public Affairs, University of Maryland, College Park <
> http://www.pipa.org/>.
>
> They have investigated topics such as the public perceptions of United
> States international politics and of international organizations (NATO, the
> United Nations, and the International Monetary Fund). They maintain the
> Americans and the World website, described as a "source of comprehensive
> information on US public opinion on international issues". In January 2006,
> PIPA launched WorldPublicOpinion.org a comprehensive website devoted to
> public opinion on international policy and affairs, stating that while
> "Others report what the world does, we report what the world thinks."

I guess I'd like to know more about PIPA's methodology, Carl - how
specifically it samples public opinion in such a thorough and unbiased way
as to be different from all the other polls that Jenifer and I have
apparently been "unwittingly victimized by", and to truly and accurately
"report what the world thinks".   You seem to be quite familiar with the
organization; can I find out the specifics of their methodology easily from
their web site?

I'd also like to know who finances PIPA.  Is that information clearly
provided on their web site, Carl?  It's interesting to me that you don't
have much use for Harvard's Kennedy School of Government, but for some
reason you place great stock in this School of Public Affairs at the U. of
Maryland.

> And people are not in fact "frightfully easy to infantilize."  Just the
> opposite -- so much so that the US must spend a third of its vast GDP to
> accomplish the task as inadequately as it's done.  The one thing our rulers
> fear -- the danger they spend so much to deter -- is an informed public.
>  --CGE

Again, I'd like to know where this figure comes from, that we spend fully
one-third of our GDP on propaganda, in order to "manufacture consent".
Remember that the GDP reflects all private consumer spending, not just
government spending.  So the U.S. government wouldn't even have ACCESS to a
third of the GDP unless the average federal tax rate was 33% - which it is
not.

I agree that the rulers of most nations fear an informed public.  But I'm
still convinced that the  American public is easier than most to
infantilize.