[Peace-discuss] News-Gazette article Boardman ART Theater

jandurl at comcast.net jandurl at comcast.net
Sun Jul 20 21:42:42 CDT 2008

It's your business: Owner looks at options for the Art
Sunday July 13, 2008
David Kraft figures it's going to take some time to find the right person to take over his historic downtown Champaign movie theater.
So he's starting his search early.
Kraft said Greg Boardman, the current operator of the 240-seat Art Theater at 126 W. Church St., has declined to continue after his contract ends at the end of 2009.
"I offered it to him for three more years, and he was not interested," he added.
That three years would have been at a higher rate, Kraft said, but not nearly the level of increase the city imposed on downtown parking.
Boardman, who has operated the theater since 2003, didn't respond to questions regarding the theater.
Kraft, who once operated the Princess Theatre in LeRoy, contends the Art is in a desirable location, given all the redevelopment taking place in the vicinity.
He's looking for "an experienced, credible, financially stable" operator willing to pay market or near-market rent, he said.
His first choice is to see the vintage movie house remain a theater, he added, but he'll consider all options, including a sale that would involve a different use of the property.

From: "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at uiuc.edu>