[Peace-discuss] Obama's prevarication on the war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 24 16:14:49 CDT 2008

Here's a sample of the War Candidate's speech in Berlin today.  He calls for
killing people in Afghanistan. Didn't Bush say the same thing, but about Iraq?

"This is the moment when we must renew our resolve to rout the terrorists who
threaten our security in Afghanistan, and the traffickers who sell drugs on your
streets ... my country and yours have a stake in seeing that NATO's first
mission beyond Europe's borders is a success ... the work must be done. America
cannot do this alone. The Afghan people need our troops and your troops ... We
have too much at stake to turn back now..." --B. Obama 7/24/08

(The drug line is a new, mendacious, and surprisingly weak excuse: under the
Taliban, heroin production was suppressed, but a UN report of August 2003 stated
that Afghanistan had re-emerged after the American invasion as the world's
leading source for opium and heroin. The report estimated that 500,000 people
were involved in Afghanistan's trafficking chain and estimated an annual income
at $25 billion.)