[Peace-discuss] Re: [Discuss] [Peace] CNN Coverage on Being Black in America

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 25 11:57:00 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 11:49:11AM -0500, Raymond Morales wrote:
> I do not believe that the lack of jobs creates an air of disinterest in
> academia or higher eduction, in general. Honestly, the poor are stifled by a
> lack of support and negative influences within and outside of the
> educational system. The system as a whole ignores their needs and exploits
> them for financial benefit. One of the best examples that comes to mind is
> how school systems go out and actively recruit the student/athlete (really
> entertainer/athlete) with money and time. And yet, they never seem to find
> enough black and brown people to fill the ranks of the graduate and
> professional programs. They blame the situation on "pipeline issues" to lack
> of funding without any true introspection.
>
> It is becoming painfully obvious that the people at the top need to
> re-examine their practices to sort out what works from the many lingering
> examples of old-school racism. Without that, the plantationomics of higher
> education will simply continue to churn out more slaves than scholars.
>
> And personally, I would much prefer to be well educated and broke then
> ignorant and well-fed.
>
> -Ray

This is a good discussion, but it's unfortunate that it's continuing on the
peace at lists.chambana.net list which is intended for announcements but not discussions.

If there are further replies, could they please include peace-discuss at anti-war.net,
or at least not peace at anti-war.net/peace at lists.chambana.net?

Thanks