[Peace-discuss] Why Obama won't say what he believes...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 6 13:04:40 CDT 2008

ewj at pigs.ag wrote:
> The most disturbing thing I have seen is that neocon Bloody Bill Kristol likes Obama.

Clever neocons have understood for a long time that Obama is far closer to their
positions than some of his liberal supporters believe: see "Obama the
Interventionist," by Robert Kagan in the Washington Post, Sunday, April 29, 2007
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/27/AR2007042702027.html>.

Kagan is probably the leading intellectual among the neocons right now.  He has
the right education -- Yale and the ridiculous Kennedy School of Government at
Harvard (home of Obama adviser Samantha Power).  A speechwriter in the Reagan
administration (where the Bush administration came from), Kagan is a member of
the Council on Foreign Relations, a co-founder of the Project for the New
American Century, and one of the signers of the January 26, 1998, "PNAC Letter"
sent to President Clinton, promoting regime change in Iraq. His wife is the
current U.S. ambassador to NATO.

He's McCain's principal foreign policy advisor and the author of the neocon book
du jour, "The Return of History and the End of Dreams" (2008), which turns up in
McCain's speeches.  (The key phrase is "League of Democracies"  -- i.e.,
bringing back the Cold War for propaganda purposes.)  As the article shows,
Kagan likes Obama too.  --CGE