[Peace-discuss] Obama Walks Back Jerusalem Remarks

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Jun 8 00:06:17 CDT 2008

[Maybe so.  It's interesting that Obama's recently done similar things before
other "interest groups."  Alex Cockburn has some examples in his column today,
below. --CGE]

Take his speech to the Cuban American National Foundation in Miami on May 23:
“Throughout my entire life, there has been injustice and repression in Cuba.
Never, in my lifetime, have the people of Cuba known freedom ... This is the
terrible and tragic status quo that we have known for half a century—of
elections that are anything but free or fair ... I won’t stand for this
injustice, you won’t stand for this injustice, and together we will stand up for
freedom in Cuba ... I will maintain the embargo.”

Obama had words of specific comfort for the Uribe regime in Colombia: “When I am
President, we will continue the Andean Counter-Drug Program, and update it to
meet evolving challenges. We will fully support Colombia’s fight against the
FARC. We’ll work with the government to end the reign of terror from right wing
paramilitaries. We will support Colombia’s right to strike terrorists who seek
safe-haven across its borders.” Note the endorsement of Columbia’s foray into
Ecuador to assassinate a FARC leader...

We can look ahead to months of Obama deflecting  McCain’s onslaughts on him as a
starry eyed peacenik by insisting that what the beleagured Empire above all
needs is  efficiency, ruthless if necessary. “The [U.S.] generals are
light-years ahead of the civilians.” He reassured one of his fans, the
neoconservative New York Times columnist, David Brooks. “They are trying to get
the job done rather than look tough.”

<http://www.counterpunch.org/>