[Peace-discuss] idea garage sale?

Susan Parenti sparenti at uiuc.edu
Sun Jun 8 14:55:53 CDT 2008

To the many people who have asked 'how did the idea garage sale
go?'---from my point of view, the idea garage sale went wonderfully,
despite the horrid weather.

What was wonderful was that it 'took off' around 11am--enough people
of different backgrounds were there to talk to one another, with an
idea forming the point of departure, and with fairly lengthy and
animated conversations ensuing. People didn't just show up for ten
minutes then leave--rather, they seemed to stay for quite awhile.

But, OK, this might be a description of a party or a class---so, what
was the 'garage idea sale' component?

My answer will sound odd---I felt, metaphorically, that I was
receiving health care in the emergency room, rather than in a
doctor's office--and that was good. By that I mean, with someone's
idea forming the basis of a conversation, there were all sorts of
treatments done to it by the variety of the people, with lots of
references to other things and events brought in. 'Hear-say' was a
significant contributor--many people would say, for example, "I heard
that the Orpeum is doing...", or "I heard the Park District is
basically closing down Crystal lake Park..." etc---and this was
important to hear.  I learned lots (and I'm a conceited sort of
person who likes claiming she knows everything already).

Someone else may have thought the whole event stunk. OK.

But from my experience, an idea garage sale seemed to address our
barely articulated need to talk with one another about ideas that
matter.