[Peace-discuss] We struggle up toward the level of the 13th century

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 12 21:12:51 CDT 2008

"...Alexander Hamilton's Federalist No. 84: 'The practice of arbitrary
imprisonments, in all ages, is the favorite and most formidable instruments of
tyranny.' It is that deeply tyrannical practice -- implemented by the Bush
administration and authorized by a bipartisan act of Congress -- which the U.S.
Supreme Court, today, struck down.

"The Military Commissions Act of 2006 was -- and remains -- one of the great
stains on our national political character. It was passed by a substantial
majority in the Senate (65-34) with the support of every single Senate
Republican (except Chafee) and 12 Senate Democrats. No filibuster was even
attempted. It passed by a similar margin in the House, where 34 Democrats joined
219 Republicans to enact it..." <http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/>.

See Peter Linebaugh, "The Magna Carta Manifesto: Liberties and Commons for All"
(U. California Press, 2008). --CGE