[Peace-discuss] Some sense on Sunday morning

LAURIE LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Sun Jun 15 15:48:53 CDT 2008

Well, I guess we disagree as to the rationality of the actions of not only
U.S. officials but also the corporate leaders and corporations, and the
general citizenry.  I concede that when viewed within a very narrow
perspective and from typical end-means point of view the behavior is
rational; however, from a much more general point of view and broader
perspective it is -if not irrational - non-rational behavior.   With respect
to the viciousness and callousness of the actions and thinking, I agree with
you; it is very vicious and callous along with a few other adjectives.  In
short I guess it is a matter of how one looks at things: tactically or
strategically, so to speak.

Short term and short sighted rationality only makes sense within a long term
and far sighted rational environment. When actions, decisions, and judgments
are defined relatively in terms of immediate gratification and short term
goals and interests with complete disregard for either the long term
consequences or the distant purposes and objectives of the wider community
(i.e., the Human Race) in the distant future, one can hardly say that it has
an overall rationality with a straight face.  If I achieve my personal
immediate or short term goal but set up the conditions for my destruction
and death in doing so, is that rational?