[Peace-discuss] Some nonsense on Sunday afternoon

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 16 08:59:20 CDT 2008

I've never understood the po-mos' enthusiasm for Schmitt. Perhaps it's no more
than what Chomsky would call the wide-spread contempt for democracy among
intellectuals of the left and right.  BHL may almost accidentally be right, that
Schmitt's seen as a savior by a (certain M-L) "left that has lost its bearings"
-- or perhaps more accurately been transmogrified into an academic simulacrum
with bloody dreams (i.e., po-mo).  But I doubt that Schmitt was "driven by his
hated of free markets." He's a stick for Levy to beat Derrida et al. with.

This article made me go renew my lapsed subscription to Le Monde diplomatique...
  --CGE