[Peace-discuss] Bush admin torture policy

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 19 14:24:03 CDT 2008

The draft was ended precisely to prevent the sort of mutiny the US faced in
Vietnam, and to some extent it worked.

G. Bush I said that the major effect of Gulf War I was, "By God, we've kicked
the Vietnam Syndrome once and for all!"

But people are not fools, and what's happening in Iraq is coming through -- from
the Abu Ghraib pictures to Taguba's report.

The unprecedented propaganda might of the US is slowly wearing away -- 70% of
the US populace is opposed to this war, and it's the job of our political class,
Democrat and Republican, to make sure that that doesn't make any difference.  So
far they've done a pretty good job.

Hence President Obama will be "as careful about getting out as we were careless
about getting in." (In fact, our leaders, Democrat and Republican, were pretty
deliberate about getting in -- and intend to stay: note what Obama and the other
Democrats are saying about "AfPak.") --CGE