[Peace-discuss] Tim Johnson voted to oppose the (unfortunately passed) bogus FISA bill!

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 20 17:01:59 CDT 2008

You may be able to email thanks to Rep Johnson at timothy.johnson at houseenews.net
 --Jenifer

--- On Fri, 6/20/08, Stuart Levy <slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:

From: Stuart Levy <slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Subject: [Peace-discuss] Tim Johnson voted to oppose the (unfortunately passed) bogus FISA bill!
To: peace-discuss at anti-war.net
Date: Friday, June 20, 2008, 1:33 PM

See this note from Esther Patt.

Good for Johnson ("the only Republican to vote 'no'") --
let's thank him for trying.

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:21:20 -0500
From: Champaign County ACLU Announcements <announce at aclu-cu.org>
Subject: [ACLU-CU ALERT] Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act
To: "announce at aclu-cu.org" <announce at aclu-cu.org>

This morning, the U.S. House of Representatives voted 293-129 to pass a version
of the revision to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) that ACLU
opposed.  For details about the bill, go to the ACLU's web site
    http://www.aclu.org/safefree/general/35726prs20080619.html

Our U.S. Representative Tim Johnson was the only Republican to vote
"no."

Rep. Johnson called me yesterday to ask the ACLU's position on the bill
because
a compromise between Democratic and Republican leadership had been worked out
yesterday and many House members who had opposed the last bill revising FISA
agreed to support the compromise.

Calls to Representative Johnson's office to thank him are certainly in
order.  The local phone number is 403-4690.

>From Illinois, also voting "no" were the newest member of the
Illinois
>delegation, Bill Foster, and long-time civil liberties advocates Danny
Davis,
>Jesse Jackson Jr. and Jan Schakowsky (Bobby Rush is ill and was not
voting).

Esther Patt
Chapter President