[Peace-discuss] "After Downing Street" on cloture

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 25 22:29:42 CDT 2008

I agree that President Obama's doing nothing would be better than his killing
Afghans and Pakistanis, as he's said he intends to do (and maybe Iranians too),
but unfortunately if he were to sit in the Oval Office and sing "Kumbaya" all
day, to the exclusion of any other activity, the war would still go on,
US-guided neoliberalism would continue to exploit the world, etc.  (In fact,
we've had something rather like that for most of eight years.)

We 'way overemphasize the character of the president as a determinant of USG
policy.  (And therefore we attribute far too much importance to the quadrennial
quadrille -- the pro forma exercise of installing a chief magistrate.) --CGE