[Peace-discuss] Obama's perfidy on FISA

LAURIE LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Fri Jun 27 15:37:32 CDT 2008

John,

As I noted in my reply to Stuart's post, I believe that the telecom were
engaged in the sharing of information and records with the government on an
informal level without specific authorizations by the FISA court prior to
9/11 ; but even after 9/11 but prior to the Patriot Act's passage, they
engaged in said activities that circumvented the FISA court prior to the
passage of the Act which allowed them to do so.  The letters you refer to
were creature's of the Patriot Act and did not exist prior to its enactment
as was the cased for the provision that prevented them from divulging that
such a letter had been given them and that they were complying.  However, if
memory serves, the telecoms were engaging in such activities prior to the
Patriot Act's passage without specific authorizations by any FISA court.

As for not revealing the issuance of said letters and of compliance with
said letters, Qwest managed to  challenge that provision in general as did
some libraries and bookstores.  The telecoms in question just did not have
the balls, will, or desire to challenge the government on this issue; those
actors who did later won their cases for non-compliance although they had to
put up with a lot of crap in the interim and maybe even afterwards.

Although it may be practically inconvenient and dangerous, members of
society do have the right (and some would say obligation) to resist illegal
and unethical demands and requests just as they do have a right to resist
illegal arrests by law enforcement when they feel t hat such persons have
gone beyond their legal authority under the law or the Constitution.
Resisting arrest charges in many cases are "hummers" that are used to
intimidate and force compliance when such compliance is not warranted or
justified (the most obvious being when the charge is brought but it is the
only charge brought).  The telecoms could have resisted and gone to court
challenging the legality of the letters, the requests, etc.; but they chose
not to.

>  In such instances the small-fry soldiers should NOT be held accountable,
or they should be held significantly LESS accountable then the officers who
gave the orders and the government officials who gave the officers THEIR
orders.

But the telecoms are not exactly small-fry soldiers.  They are artificial
entities which in many cases are bigger, wealthier, and more powerful and
influential than many countries and any individual.  If they decided to
challenge the government, they - like GM in the past - are big and powerful
enough to create a stalemate that would go on in the courts for a long
period of time until the government decided to compromise.  No small-fry
soldier has the resources to do that.