[Peace-discuss] Obama's perfidy on FISA

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 16:32:05 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Stuart Levy <slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 01:30:59PM -0500, John W. wrote:

> > On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Morton K. Brussel <brussel at uiuc.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> > >It seems that the obvious answer is that the Telecoms did *not* have to
> > >comply with an unconstitutional request from the executive.  They were
> only
> > >too willing…, and not all complied--mkb
> >
> > Maybe you're right, Mort.  I have a tendency to compare the telecoms to
> > things I'm more familiar with - the rank-and-file soldiers that Laurie
> > mentioned, and to incidents in my own life where I as a lowly firefighter
> > was ordered to do things that were of questionable legality, on pain of
> > losing my job for "insubordination".  But I didn't have armies of lawyers
> > advise me, or a huge budget for legal counsel and litigation.  I guess
> > that's one of the key differences.
> >
> > John
>
> That's interesting.  When you were working as a firefighter,
> were you unionized?  (I don't know whether labor unions are
> even common or not among firefighters.)

Yes, labor unions for firefighters are ubiquitous now, though they weren't
in 1975.   (Today pretty much the only strong unions left in America are the
public sector unions - just the opposite of the situation in 1975.)  And
yes, in 1975 I was in a union and we even had our first contract, though the
Illinois collective bargaining law for public sector employees was not yet
in existence, and striking was illegal.

> If you were, would an
> improper request be an issue you'd complain about to the union --
> would it make sense to do that?

It might have been if it had occurred to me.  But in 1975 I was a rookie who
practically trembled before the awesome power of the Assistant Chief.  And
the union was small - only 15 members - and had no real money to spend on
the resolution of grievances.

Equally importantly, all officers other than the Fire Chief were also
members of the union.  So there were obvious conflicts of interest all over
the place.  I'm more aware of all that now than I was back then, though.

Actually, it was very similar to the military and to the police, where there
is a cult of machismo and great pressure to obey one's superiors and to
conform to normative behavior.