[Peace-discuss] Campus Protests!

wyatt2 at uiuc.edu wyatt2 at uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 5 17:11:02 CST 2008

Hey everyone,

This is Steven Wyatt with the Campus Antiwar Network.  We invite all community members to participate in our Week of Action!  You may have heard of the viewing of "Winter Soldier" being put on by IVAW and CAN on Monday, March 10th.  Now, there are many more events occurring all week which we hope you can attend.

Join the Campus Antiwar Network for a week of protests, film screenings, and anti-recruitment drives to fight back against 5 years of illegal war and occupation.  Please forward this schedule and invitation far and wide.

Monday:
"Winter Soldier Film screening with Iraq Veterans Against the War"
Location - Illinois Disciples Foundation (IDF)
610 E Springfield
7:00pm

Tuesday:
Counter-Recruitment protest at the new recruiting stations in Champaign
507 Town Center Blvd
4:00pm - 6:00pm

Wed:
Lunch Lecture and Discussion on the Antiwar Movement at Hopkins Dorm
12:00-1:00

Thurs:
Walk-out, March, Rally, and Die-in on the Quad hosted with the Campus Greens* (see schedule below)

Friday:
Live streaming of "Winter Soldier: Iraq and Afghanistan" with Iraq Veterans Against the War
Time - 6:00pm - 8:00pm
Place - TBA

Saturday:
Continuation of the live streaming of "Winter Soldier: Iraq and Afghanistan" with Iraq Veterans Against the War
Time: 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Location: TBA

*************************************

*Here is a breakdown of the protest being headed by the Campus Greens

11:00 am -- Setup at north end of Quad (Anniversary Plaza)
11:15 am -- Students not currently in class assembling at Anniversary Plaza
11:20 am -- A "Walk Out" is planned for all students who have class at the time and want to participate. Walking out of class to join the protest at this time is to be a sign of solidarity.
11:30 am - 12 noon -- A protest march is planned to go through part of Green Street and around the Quad, then meeting back up at the north end of the Quad for the rally.
12 noon - 12:50pm -- Rally with speakers from all groups willing to volunteer a speaker, with chanting and general rally activities in between.
12:50pm - 1:00pm -- "Die In" much like the one last fall organized by CAN, where people participating in the event fall to the ground representing lives lost during the war.

One last note: we are having a meeting next Tuesday at 6pm in 140 Lincoln Hall to prepare signs and finalize details for the event. Everyone is invited to this and we hope you can make it.

contact information: uskali at gmail.com

If you have any questions about the rest of the Week of Action feel free to contact me at wyatt2 at uiuc.edu

Thanks for all your hard work!
Steven Wyatt