[Peace-discuss] What needs to be said…

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 7 14:21:40 CST 2008

Sage, maybe, but perhaps not entirely free of illusion.  We've seen for example
how effective "grassroots pressure" has been with the Democrats who were given
control of Congress in 2006.  "Democrats won the 2006 election largely thanks to
public disgust with the Iraq war," as Paul Krugman writes today in the NYT, and
they proved pretty impervious to "grassroots pressure" as they went on to
support the war.

In fact, the leading astro-turf group, AAEI, with its millions from party
funders and its mission to co-opt the anti-war movement for the benefit of the
Democrats, has just re-emerged under a new name.  Prwatch.org writes as follows:

Campaign to Defend America, a group spun off by Americans Against Escalation in
Iraq, is behind McCain: McSame as Bush, a TV ad attacking presidential candidate
John McCain. Campaign to Defend America "is among anti-war and left-of-center
groups that have pledged a multimillion-dollar effort to target McCain and
congressional Republicans on the consequences of the Iraq war on the U.S.
economy. ... [T]he Campaign to Defend America has received at least $1.4 million
from The Fund for America, a nonprofit group set up last year by John Podesta, a
former chief of staff for President Clinton; Anna Burger, the
secretary-treasurer of the Service Employees International Union; and Rob McKay,
a California philanthropist (and chair of the Democracy Alliance). The Campaign
to Defend America is headed by Tom Matzzie, the former Washington director of
the liberal activist group MoveOn.org. Among Fund for America donors are
multimillionaire financier George Soros." The Center for Investigative Reporting
has created a chart illustrating the liberal money and connections behind the
Campaign to Defend America.

--CGE