[Peace-discuss] March 10 movie at the IDF: Winter Soldier

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 10 17:46:41 CDT 2008

Don't miss tonight's showing of the film, "Winter Soldier" -- In this film, Vietnam Veterans spoke of the atrocities they had witnessed and committed. Later this week, Iraq Veterans will hold their own "Winter Soldier" event. Come tonight to find out what the Winter Soldier Investigation is all about and to support the Iraq Veterans Against the War.

> Monday, March 10  7:00pm
> Illinois Disciples Foundation

About the film:
"In February 1971, one month after the revelations of the My Lai massacre, an astonishing public inquiry into war crimes committed by American forces in Vietnam was held at a Howard Johnson motel in Detroit. The Vietnam Veterans Against the War organized this event called the Winter Soldier Investigation. More than 125 veterans spoke of atrocities they had witnessed and committed."

> Monday, March 10  7:00pm
> (arrive early)
> Illinois Disciples Foundation,
> northwest corner of Springfield Ave. & Wright Street in Champaign Illinois
> In the Wisegarver Lounge on the 1st floor
> Showing of the Vietnam-era film, "Winter Soldier"
> This will be a fundraiser for Iraq Veterans Against the War (IVAW) and the "Winter Soldier Investigation II" in Wash. DC, March 13-16 in 2008.

More about the 1971 film:
"Though the event was attended by press and television news crews, almost nothing was reported to the American public. Yet, this unprecedented forum marked a turning point in the anti-war movement. It was a pivotal moment in the lives of young vets from around the country who participated, including the young John Kerry. The Winter Soldier Investigation changed him and his comrades forever. Their courage in testifying, their desire to prevent further atrocities and to regain their own humanity, provide a dramatic intensity that makes seeing Winter Soldier an unforgettable experience."