[Peace-discuss] Propaganda and Human Rights

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 11:47:02 CDT 2008

A month ago a friend of mine sent me an article where a human rights
organization condemned the decision made by an Iranian court to execute two
women for adultery. The method of execution is through stoning.  She was
absolutely, and understandably, outraged by this situation as it was
presented to her. On CNN.Com there is a story about a young man from Iran
who is facing deportation. Since this gentleman has come out as a gay person
he may be executed if he is returned to his home country. Considering the
discussions and concerns about the possibility of attacking Iran this brings
me back to some of the rhetoric that was prevalent prior to the US invasion
of Afghanistan.  After 911 the mistreatment of women by the Taliban became
better known and we saw a renewed interest in the atrocities committed by
Saddam Hussein and his regime. Instead of weapons of mass destruction we
received mass distractions in the form of human rights propaganda that was
being used to create a common enemy.

In trying to find the words to describe what I am observing I encountered
this article

http://www.tiger-tail.org/3_media.htm

To me it's important to consider the context and the surrounding issues when
we hear about human rights violations. As such I saw the story my friend
sent me as a red flag and this latest story provides no reassurance.

Peace, Marti