[Peace-discuss] humans / attention / and how little people notice

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 12 15:13:37 CDT 2008

I think I've just seen something that helps me make sense of why people don't see what is wrong with a War on Terrorism.

http://www.dothetest.co.uk/
This video has two groups tossing basketballs. Before they start, it asks how many times the team in white passes the ball. So you watch really closely. At the end, I was so proud of myself when they confirmed my count, but then it asks if I noticed the bear dancing. It then rewinds the video and plays it again. There indeed is a bear dancing through. The point of this video is that people should look out for bicyclists. But it really makes a very important point about what we don't notice.

As Stuart Levy reminded me: U ofI psychologist, Dan Simons, studies attention. His studies are really quite eerie.