[Peace-discuss] Fwd: [Iran01] Stephen Kinzer on the Fallon 'resignation'

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 13 20:50:09 CDT 2008

[From Josh Marshall <http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/>. --CGE]

Yesterday we reported at some length on the departure Adm. William Fallon,
commander of Centcom. Then yesterday afternoon a reporter colleague told me that
the real issue with Fallon wasn't Iran but something called "the pause."

With 'surges' and 'pauses' and various other bits of jargon floating around,
it's a little hard to keep track. But essentially the 'pause' refers to how long
we're going to put off drawing down our forces in Iraq. Fallon wanted a short
pause, this colleague told me, and Petraeus wanted a long or (I think more
likely) an indefinite one. Now Fred Kaplan at Slate and David Ignatius in the
Post bring reports confirming that this was indeed the key issue.

So, not about Iran but Iraq -- and specifically whether we stay there
indefinitely waiting on the El Dorado of political progress. Fallon wanted to
start drawing down. His bosses disagreed. And now he's gone.