[Peace-discuss] Call for more vigiling from Rev. Mulberry

Barbara kessel barkes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 19:39:53 CDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mike Mulberry <mike at community-ucc.org>
Date: Mar 17, 2008 2:02 PM
Subject: I know this is last minute....
To: Barbara kessel <barkes at gmail.com>

 I know we will be small but hopefully hardy……I just sent this out to our
congregation.

*100,000 Lights for Peace*

* *

Sisters and brothers in Christ,

*On March 19, 2008, the world will pause to commemorate the fifth
anniversary of the war in Iraq. Five years of bloodshed, destruction,
displacement and death.*

On this day — the Wednesday of Holy Week — United Church of Christ members,
supporters and congregations will remember the day with meditation and
action. Together, on March 19, we will move from lamentation to action to
hope.  While other United Church of Christ faith communities will be
providing worship experiences throughout the day, we will also be providing
worship experiences at 8:00 a.m., 12:15 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.  None of these
experiences will last more than an half hour.  All of these experiences will
include resources the national UCC 100,000 lights for peace campaign
provided for local churches last week.

Here is the schedule including some events already scheduled for that day:

8:00 a.m.  Light a candle and begin the day with a Prayer of
Lament<http://www.ucc.org/100kforpeace/downloads/morning-prayer-of-lament.pdf>,
based on Psalm 130 and the UCC's Pastoral Letter on the War in Iraq.  Held
in the sanctuary.

11:45 a.m. Join Pat Syoen and Rev. Mulberry for the weekly prayer protest
just outside the church.

12:15 p.m.  Join us in the sanctuary as we offer a meditation for mid-day
action.  Then light up the Capitol Hill switchboard for peace.  Undergird
your witness for:

   1. an end to the war in Iraq;
   2. greater responsiveness to the needs of returning soldiers and their
   families;
   3. greater U.S. aid for Iraqi refugees and others displaced by the
   fighting and bloodshed.

5:00-6:15 p.m. AWARE Vigil to mark five years of war in Iraq, Urbana
Veterans' Memorial, Broadway and Main, downtown Urbana.  This is a solemn
observance, not a demonstration, to please do not bring political signs.
Wear dark clothes or a black armband if you have one.

6:30 p.m.  Join us for vigil and the tolling of bells as we begin an evening
prayer of hope that a new path may be found.

Again, all the services shall be no more than an half hour.  Please join us
for this day when we move from lamentation to action to hope.

Grace and peace,

Rev. Mike Mulberry

*"Courage is the first virtue.  Without it, none of the other virtues are
possible."--Rev. William Sloane Coffin*

* *

Community United Church

805 S. Sixth Street