[Peace-discuss] Obama on race (and war)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 18 18:13:06 CDT 2008

Obama's speech today <http://www.drudgereport.com/flashos.htm> should be read --
but with care.  It should be critiqued the way one does a movie or novel -- with
attention not just to what is said but how it's said.  He's snake-hipping his
way around several obstacles here -- notably those thrown up in a particularly
disgusting column by Pat Buchanan this week <http://www.theamericancause.org/>.

Primarily it's an enactment of the Great Substitution of this year's
presidential campaign -- identity politics elbows aside any discussion of actual
USG policies -- and an invocation of "unity" (because there are no real
contradictory interests in our society). Forget wars, actual and contemplated,
and real economic distress -- the only question is, Are you a racist or a
misogynist?

He comes out firmly against racism (what courage) but even more firmly against
remarks by his pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright.  He does a pretty good imitation of
Prince Hal ditching Falstaff.  Then he turns to one of the most offensive
mixings of politics and religion that I've heard this season -- enlisting
Christianity in support of his accommodationist policies.

His goal is strenuously to repudiate the only insightful (or even accurate)
things said about foreign policy by anyone in his campaign -- Rev. Wright's
remarks. They're "a profoundly distorted view of this country," Obama says --
such as that "the conflicts in the Middle East [are] rooted primarily in the
actions of stalwart allies like Israel," for shame! [Who are the "stalwart
allies like Israel"? Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Turkey et al., I suppose.]  Of course
everybody knows that the pillage and murder in the Middle East come "from the
perverse and hateful ideologies of radical Islam." [Remember how radical Islam
invaded Iraq and killed a million people? Then it invaded Lebanon, then Gaza...]

Read it and weep.  --CGE