[Peace-discuss] Five years of occupation

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 20 03:43:44 CDT 2008

[I'm astonished (yeah, you'd think I'd learn) at the right-wing tone of the
coverage of the beginning of the sixth year of the US attack on Iraq.  The NYT,
e.g., assembles a group of experts to assess the matter, with no anti-war voice
at all; almost worse was the wretched PBS evening news tonight, which devoted a
long time to a focus group of shockingly uninformed "ordinary citizens" who
produced ever more specious arguments for continuing the war.  Here, to cleanse
this offal from the mental palate, is an accurate comment -- not, naturally,
from the US media but from UK Channel 4. --CGE]

"I would like to remind myself and others in the United States and Britain that
aggressors have no rights, they have only responsibilities.

"The first responsibility is to pay massive reparations for the crimes they have
carried out. That extends in the case of Iraq to include support for Saddam
through his worst atrocities after the war with Iran.

"After the savage first Gulf War when George Bush authorised the crushing of the
rebellions that might have overthrown him, the murderous sanctions and of course
the war and its aftermath.

"And their second responsibility is to hold the perpetrators accountable.

"And finally, and crucially, to attend to the voices of the victims, which are
not a secret. The Pentagon has just released its latest study of opinions in
Iraq. It was optimistic, it said. Iraqis have shared beliefs, so there's hope
for reconciliation.

"The shared beliefs turn out to be that the United States and Britain are
responsible for the sectarian warfare and all of its horrors and they should
leave Iraq to Iraqis."

"And we should finally resolve to ensure that we are never again responsible for
such terrible crimes."

--Noam Chomsky