[Peace-discuss] Iran attack imminent?

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Mon Mar 24 14:29:31 CDT 2008

The following story suggests another reason to be fearful that an
attack on Iran is planned.

In addition there is the recent passage of a U. S. nuclear weapons
submarine passing through the Suez canal heading for the Persian
gulf.  Unwelcome news. --mkb

  Worried Yet? Saudis Prepare for "Sudden Nuclear Hazards" After
Cheney Visit

Written by Chris Floyd
Sunday, 23 March 2008

I. One Tick Closer to Midnight

Last Friday, Dick Cheney was in Saudi Arabia for high-level meetings
with the Saudi king and his ministers. On Saturday, it was revealed
that the Saudi Shura Council -- the elite group that implements the
decisions of the autocratic inner circle -- is preparing "national
plans to deal with any sudden nuclear and radioactive hazards that
may affect the kingdom following experts' warnings of possible
attacks on Iran's Bushehr nuclear reactors," one of the kingdom's
leading newspapers, Okaz, reports. The German-based dpa news service
relayed the paper's story.

Simple prudence -- or ominous timing? We noted here last week that an
American attack on Iran was far more likely -- and more imminent --
than most people suspect. We pointed to the mountain of evidence for
this case gathered by scholar William R. Polk, one of the top aides
to John Kennedy during the Cuban Missile Crisis, and to other
indicators of impending war. The story by Okaz -- which would not
have appeared in the tightly controlled dictatorship without approval
from the top -- is yet another, very weighty piece of evidence laid
in the scales toward a new, horrendous conflict.

We don't know what the Saudis told Cheney in private -- or even more
to the point, what he told them. But the release of this story now,
just after his departure, would seem to be a clear indication that
the Saudis have good reason to fear a looming attack on Iran's
nuclear sites and are actively preparing for it.
…

For the rest of this article, see

  http://www.chris-floyd.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/