[Peace-discuss] 4000 U.S. Deaths Should Spark Congressional Debate on Iraq

Morton K. Brussel brussel at uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 24 20:30:23 CDT 2008

On Mar 24, 2008, at 6:49 PM, Robert Naiman wrote:

> I totally agree with your suggestion. As I wrote, there are multiple
> causes for the fall-off in press coverage. I wanted to focus on one of
> them, which is that after Congress abandoned efforts to impose a
> timetable for withdrawal, news media took this as a cue that the issue
> was less important. If that is true, then it suggests that the
> Congressional debate was useful, by helping keep the issue in the news
> media, even though it didn't result in effective action to end the
> war. That undermines the argument that there is no point in Congress
> addressing the issue if it can't enforce effective action.

On the other hand, to raise hopes (in Congress) and then to dash them
has been doubly discouraging, a turn-off for many. The issue about
funding the wars is/has been crucial. The Democrats, had they been
truly sincere and committed in antiwar efforts, could always have
refused to fund the war/military appropriations that Bush proposed.
Their leaders refused to even consider such an option.