[Peace-discuss] Re: [ucprogressives] Fw: RELEASE: $1 million Anti-Teachers Union Campaign Begins Today

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 13:13:56 CDT 2008

Thanks for writing, Jenny. Glad to hear Obama's position on merit pay has come more in line w/ my/our thinking, because that was NOT the case in his (second) book or earlier speeches. He/his advisers must have tho't the merit pay idea would resonate w/ teachers/teachers' unions (he/they should have known better!), and when he/they found it didn't, he/they retho't (or at any rate backpedaled) and restated his position. I think Obama is by far our best bet of the three viable choices and hope he wins the nomination and presidency, clay feet and all. NIce to know he's/they're willing to listen and (let's hope) act as I/we wish when the time comes (on several issues in addition to this one).
   --Jenifer

jbarrett at cyrus.psych.uiuc.edu wrote:
  Sorry for the blank message (defective keyboard).

I would like to set the record straight about Obama and merit pay for
teachers. The IEA officers met with Obama and questioned him at
length about this issue. Obama said: “The unions have to agree. Any
package won’t work if teachers don’t buy into it. Can’t violate basic
principles of collective bargaining.” He also said: “If it is being
done without the support of unions then it won’t work.” The Illinois
Education Association Board voted to recommend Obama in the primary
only after we were certain that he does not
support merit pay for teachers.

Obama does support the exploration of enhanced compensation strategies
but ONLY if and when the employees who would be impacted are actively
involved in the development of and approve of any such plan. In a
recent interview with Reg Weaver, the National Education Association
President, Obama made very clear this is his position which Reg then
reported to state presidents as being completely acceptable to NEA.

Jenny

Quoting Jenifer Cartwright :

Senior Research Programmer, Psychology
453B Psychology