[Peace-discuss] an anti-bias poster for the CUMTD buses? P S

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 31 00:22:58 CDT 2008

If y're all taken w/ the poem, maybe the poet would permit deletion of "used" for this purpose (btw, WHY did she say, "used to say"... Do they no longer say it???)
   --Jenifer

Stuart Levy <slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:
  On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 05:18:06PM -0700, Jenifer Cartwright wrote:
> "The Arabs USED to say"... and what do they say NOW? And I know it's metaphor
> and that we don't REALLY advocate feeding anyone for three days w/o getting
> some background info..

Actually, I think that would be a fine standard to set. :)

> but I (continue to) think this is a confusing quote to
> put on inside of buses (or anywhere else w/o a lotta context). Again, I'd
> vote for a MLK quote that is short and gender-free (MLK's closer to home
> anyhow and would resonate more w/ readers). I suggested a couple a month or
> so ago, if anyone happened to save that email.
> --Jenifer

I'd like to do this poem -- especially since we have the poet's
delighted permission. So for this one, I'm mostly looking for
what context to offer along with the text itself, and advice on
graphic design (anything besides text?), and stuff like that.

This certainly doesn't have to be the only thing we post this way.
I'd be really happy if we made this one of a series.
At least a couple of other cities' transit systems make a habit of
posting short poetry for people to read while riding...

Yes, found your letter, Jenifer: