[Peace-discuss] 21 Luftballons

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 31 04:33:33 CDT 2008

At our friend Bob's interment, I was struck by the substitution of
twenty-one balloons for a twenty-one gun salute.  It was a brilliant
gesture.

Bob was a Shakespearean.  His printed cards often carried quotations
from Shakespeare, perhaps the best known of which is, "To be, or not to
be: that is the question."  But the lines that follow that are less well
known:

	Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
	The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
	Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
	And by opposing end them...

Bob took arms against a sea of troubles in his life, first literally and
then metaphorically, and by opposing worked to end them.  He is a model
for us.  Requiescat in pace.

	###