[Peace-discuss] Activists post war's cost on signs

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 19:10:05 CDT 2008

Note that the billboard company involved seems to be...Adams Outdoor
Advertising, same company as we have in Urbana...:

"It was contributions from GLNAWI members and others that paid for the
billboards, which will remain up through April 20.

But it was a national deal negotiated with Adams Outdoor Advertising
by a group called PeaceRoots that made them affordable, Francis said,
though she didn't want to give an exact cost."

There's a picture of the billboard at the link. The text of the
billboard seems to suggest that AFSC is involved, though they aren't
mentioned in the article. Perhaps our local Friends might want to look
into this...? I would gladly chip in. It's a nice design.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008803250324

Activists post war's cost on signs

Viewer's response to a billboard: 'Bring them boys home'

Matthew Miller
Lansing State Journal

The billboard at the corner of Michigan Avenue and Francis Street held
a simple equation and question: "One day of the Iraq War = $720
million. How would you spend it?"

When Michael Allen saw it and considered the cost, his reaction was blunt.

"That's really dumb," Allen, 21, of Lansing said. "Why would you spend
that much for somebody to go get killed? Bring them boys home."

That is the reaction that the people who paid for that billboard, and
four others like it scattered around the city, wanted.

"I don't think people really take in how much this war costs," said
Ann Francis, a member of the Greater Lansing Network Against War and
Injustice. "That's a hard thing to grasp, $720 million a day."

"Getting this message across is really important," she said, "so,
whoever is running for president, people can know this and keep
telling them that we need to be spending the money at home."

And, with many people in the area suffering from the state's weak
economy, it's a message that the group believes will resonate, said
Ken Harrow, another GLNAWI member and an English professor at Michigan
State University.

"In economic hard times, it's a message that we think may get people
to take a more active position against the war or at least think, what
is all that money going for?"

Ben Morlock, the head of the MSU College Republicans, isn't likely to
respond that way.

He hasn't seen the billboards, which went up Monday, but said he's
familiar with the group's message. And he thinks the money spent on
the war is for the good.

"Whether or not these organizations want to admit it, we are at war," he said.

"There is a serious threat from radical Islamic terrorists, and, if we
don't do what is necessary to fight this war, there will be no country
to worry about."

It was contributions from GLNAWI members and others that paid for the
billboards, which will remain up through April 20.

But it was a national deal negotiated with Adams Outdoor Advertising
by a group called PeaceRoots that made them affordable, Francis said,
though she didn't want to give an exact cost.

And she said there may soon be similar signs in other towns.

"This could be the first city where these signs are going up," she
said, "but I know that they are trying to make this happen
nationally."

As for the logic of using billboards, Harrow said, "After five years
of protesting, you have to think of ways to get the message to the
community in ways that don't involve simply marching."