[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Fwd: [ExComm] Fwd: News-Gazette coverage

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Thu May 1 16:37:16 CDT 2008

Robert Naiman and others,

I speak for myself and my opinions are not those of AWARE's.

I support each student's right to wear whatever tee-shirts they want. I am saddened by each choice to wear a chief shirt. Education is our tool in this case. I support the University's attempts to include courses that talk about the issues. I think more can be done that might educate the sports fans.

I am deeply saddened by the fact that there are videos like the anti-semitic videos that one person has decided to share with UPTV.

As a student at the University, I am greatly relieved by the Trustees' decision to drop the "Chief" as the school's mascot.  The mascot was institutionalized racism.

Freedom of speech is a vital freedom to all and a vital freedom for minority voices especially. We should defend this freedom for each person, otherwise it will be taken away from all.

-karen medina