[Peace-discuss] Marti's criticism of AWARE

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Thu May 1 17:01:25 CDT 2008

I just responded to a post of Karen's and I did note that there are members
of AWARE that attend CUCPJ.

Actually it's important to be critical of groups - that is how groups learn
and grow. Being critical takes courage - being able to accept criticism
takes maturity. Being able to agree to disagree takes being able to work
with other individuals.

I am aware that my observation is one that may upset a few of my friends in
the peace movement. My intent is not to upset, but to point out what is a
weakness in the local peace movement. That is how movements grow and learn.

*we should be asking why African-Americans don't want peace.*

Actually we should be asking what are we doing to include African Americans
in the peace movement?  When recruiters go to high school campuses to
persuade kids to sign up for the National Guard who do YOU think is most
vulnerable to recruitment tactics. People of color and individuals of
limited means. My own grandmother bemoaned the fact that she couldn't afford
to send any of her kids to college, which is how three of her sons ended up
in Vietnam. My uncle Bill, who passed away a few years ago, suffered from
the effects of Agent Orange and my cousin told me that the VA attributed the
severity of his health issues to Vietnam. Even today people are still paying
the price in blood for that war.

You don't have to like or agree with my criticisms...it is what it is.

Peace, Marti