[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Fwd: [ExComm] Fwd: News-Gazette coverage

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu May 1 22:20:33 CDT 2008

I think Bob's implication is correct.  For the university chancellor to attempt to
prevent students from wearing pro-Chief shirts at university-sponsored events
would be a violation of those students' free speech rights.  I can't imagine an
attempt to regulate content at a university function that wouldn't be a violation
of free speech -- tho' of course we've seen plenty of that in recent decades.

If you don't believe in free speech for views you despise, you don't believe in it
at all.  That's been clear since, roughly, Voltaire. --CGE